Deadline: 3 October 2019
Applications are now open for the Arab World Heritage Young Professionals Forum which will take place from 2 to 6 December 2019 in Tunis, Tunisia, and will gather up to 38 participants from the Arab States region.
The Arab World Heritage Young Professionals Forum is organized by the UNESCO World Heritage Centre, under the World Heritage Education Programme, within the framework of the UNESCO/UNOCT project on the Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE) through Youth Empowerment in Jordan, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia, co-funded by Canada. It is organized in collaboration with the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO).
The Forum aims to engage and empower youth in the Arab States region in their critical roles as global citizens towards peacebuilding, through the protection, preservation and promotion of World Heritage.
The Forum will enhance the participants’ understanding of the World Heritage Convention; enable them to exchange on the challenges faced in Arab States in relation to heritage; and discuss how culture can be leveraged to contribute to a future of peace for the region. In addition to building a peer network of like-minded individuals committed to this common goal, the young professionals will be encouraged to create an action plan and design projects/activities towards local communities, by applying the knowledge and skills acquired during the Forum.
Objectives and Expected Outcomes
The Forum will adopt an inclusive, multi-disciplinary and participatory approach across youth, heritage, peacebuilding and communications, to:
- Enhance the knowledge of the World Heritage Convention among the participants, and strengthen a shared sense of belonging and ownership of heritage to foster peacebuilding.
- Enable the participants to exchange on the challenges faced in Arab States in relation to heritage; and discuss how culture can be leveraged to contribute to a future of peace for the region.
- Develop a dynamic network of young people that create change and positive impact in their communities using heritage as a channel of peace.
Organization and Practical Information
- The Forum will take place from 2 to 6 December 2019, in Tunis, Tunisia. The participants are expected to arrive on Sunday 1 December, remain available for the entire duration of the Forum until 6 December, included.
- All expenses related to the participation in the Forum will be covered (including transportation – economy class, meals and accommodation for the duration of the Forum).
Applicants are expected to:
- have relevant experience in the field of World Heritage; and be working on protection, preservation and promotion of heritage in their regular activities;
- be working in and/or demonstrate interest in the promotion of peace;
- be citizens of one of the 19 countries in the Arab States region;
- be between 23 and 32 years of age on the date of application;
- be fluent in English;
- be motivated and committed to implementing the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries;
- be available for the entire duration of the Forum;
- Note: Presenting project proposals and ideas related to World Heritage that promote peacebuilding, while applying, will be considered an additional asset.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
Eligible Countries : Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
For more information, please visit https://whc.unesco.org/en/news/2021/