Land O’Lakes Venture37 recruis 01 Livestock Team Lead/Livestock Specialist
Land O’Lakes International Development is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-fork, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in crop inputs, agricultural insights, dairy and animal nutrition from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
Venture37 (formerly Land O’Lakes International Development) has implemented projects in Madagascar since 2007 in dairy, livestock, agricultural resilience, and food security.
In partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Land O’Lakes Venture37 anticipates implementing livestock interventions (especially goats/sheep and poultry) within theMaharo project in southern Madagascar. Maharo is a food security activity designed to prevent and reduce acute food insecurity among the most vulnerable households in the Androy and Atsimo Andrefana Regions.
Maharo’s will improve access to basic and emergency services (food assistance, health/nutrition, water, protection) and build household assets to increase resiliency, protect assets, and reduce vulnerability to acute food insecurity. Maharo aims to reach approximately 60,000 households in Beloha, Tsihombe, Ampanihy, Betioky-Atsimo, and Toliara II.Maharo aims to reduce food insecurity through four key pillars (Purposes):
- Purpose 1: Communities, and especially the most vulnerable households and individuals, are supported by inclusive and effective social services and safety nets
- Purpose 2: Nutritional (acute and chronic) status of PLW, adolescents (particularly girls), and children under 5 is improved and sustained
- Purpose 3: Extremely poor and vulnerable households’ (especially women, youth, and people with disabilities within those households) livelihoods resilience increased
- Purpose 4: Vulnerable households, communities, and institutions have improved resilience to disasters and climate related shocks and stresses
Within Purpose 3, livestock represents a critical economic and social activity for many households in southern Madagascar. Working in an integrated manner with all project purposes, Venture37 will implement activities addressing the following areas:
- Livestock production, animal health, value chain and ASF study.
- Animal health system and community livestock health workers.
- Livestock ownership and management for resilience and growth.
- Forage and Fodder Management.
- Animal source food promotion and innovation.
Venture37 seeks a Livestock Team Lead/Livestock Specialist to provide leadership for all Venture37 activities within the Maharo Development Food Security Activity (DFSA). This position will lead technical implementation and manage a team of commune-based technical and field agent staff. The Team Lead will bring deep knowledge of the livestock market system, animal health system, agribusiness, and a capacity to lead team performance and represent Venture37 within the Maharo project and with local stakeholders including government and the private sector. This position is located full time in Maharo’s main office in Tulear. This position reports to Venture37 HQ-based Program Director and the Chief of Party of the overall Maharo project.
- Responsible for the overall implementation of the livestock-related interventions, project, and meeting project objectives;
- Coordinate and direct technical activities with respect to livestock production and health, strengthening food security and rural resilience, and the market system;
- Effectively plan and achieve project goals, oversee performance and meet project indicator results targets;
- Form and build relationships for innovative collaboration with the private sector at both local and regional levels, ranging from individual entrepreneurs to established, large-scale livestock businesses;
- Play a lead role in annual work planning and project implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation, and reporting related to project indicators;
- Oversee the project’s budget and ensure that funds are used to maximize project performance in compliance with Venture37 internal controls;
- Participate in regular field visits and provide technical assistance in field activities;
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with community and government (especially Ministry) stakeholders;
- Prepare and review staff contributions to quarterly technical and financial reporting;
- Oversee staff operations; manage project assets to meet project requirements for meeting all indicators and reporting;
- Contribute to the recruiting, on-boarding, management and evaluation of project staff and short-term technical assistance provided by expatriate/local consultants and local staff.
- Responsible for overall management of all team costs and use of funds;
- Monitor and review budgets to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget;
- Oversee the acquisition and management of office and project property related to the Tulear Office.
- Represent Venture37 to stakeholders, USAID, as well as other development organizations and donors, host government officials, community groups and partners;
- Implement country security plan in conjunction with the Director, Programs.
- Liaise with staff, community, NGO and other security networks.
- Ensure security policies and procedures are implemented, communicated and followed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in livestock, animal health, nutrition-health or related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional experience in technical management of multi-sector development projects relevant to livestock, rural livelihoods, agriculture, and disaster reduction and preparedness; experience in implementing food security-related projects preferred.
- Experience managing USAID funds e.g. OFDA, Food for Peace (DFAP, MYAP, etc.).
- Experience managing staff in technical and operational roles as head of a unit or field/regional office.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to dialogue with stakeholders, network and collaborate with donor agencies, international institutions, stakeholders and development partners.
- Experience applying best-practice and organizational policy and procedures in a country-based project.
- Excellent communication with demonstrated interpersonal, analytical presentation, and writing experience.
- Fluency or proficiency in French; proficiency or fluency in Malagasy is preferred.
- Excellent English language speaking and writing skills are required.
- Highly developed negotiating and interpersonal skills.
- Proven skills working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Working Knowledge of MS Office and Excel required.
- Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes never requests money or payment from candidates for any position type. Please report any such requests to Land O’Lakes.