|Description||Terms of reference|
Job Title: Head of Base
Duty station: Maiduguri with missions on the coordination office in Abuja and on the field bases
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 20 international staff
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.7 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 24 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno. In areas recently retaken by the Government vulnerable host populations are in critical need of humanitarian interventions. In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, food security, shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and protection services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible LGA of Maiduguri, Magumeri, Ngala, Bama, Jere, Mobbar and Dikwa.
General purpose of the position
The HoB Nigeria will oversee the Operations, Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Borno state, including Maiduguri, Magumeri, Ngala, Bama, Jere, Mobbar and Dikwa, ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, ensuring strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations, programs, budgets and partnerships.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Program and operations:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field.
- Ensure a constant analysis of humanitarian context in his/her area of responsibility
- Oversee the logistics, procurement, administration and HR operations in Borno State, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Maiduguri base
- Support project field staff in Borno State in the optimal and efficient implementation of the projects.
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of ongoing projects.
- Ensure overall consistency in the implementation of programs in every intervention sites.
- Coordinate the development of new project proposals in collaboration with technical referents, key staff and the Head of Mission.
- Guarantee a good synergy between technical and support teams at field level and between the various implementation locations.
- Ensure implementation of recommendations from internal audits, departmental field visits and field assessments.
- Play a facilitator role between field offices/operation and Coordination office.
- Keep the Coordination informed of program progresses, obstacles and delivery.
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments.
- Coordinate reporting activities at field level in accordance with the requirements of donors and the headquarters.
- Coordinate the capitalization of information/operation to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities.
- Supervise and manage the team members under his direct responsibility, ensuring their coaching and regular evaluations.
- Ensure a good level of communication between the areas of intervention.
- Facilitate and promote the smooth flow of information.
- Ensure that field teams make clear requests for support to coordination teams to maximize operational effectiveness and program effectiveness and quality.
- Support the Head of Mission on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention of abuse of power.
- Coordinate and oversee all INTERSOS partnerships In Borno State.
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities.
- If necessary, implement at local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined for the mission.
- Maintain an effective network with stakeholders at local level about security aspects, collect and analyze information to establish risk and context analysis and do the follow up of the teams.
- Support the Head of Mission in the production of internal security regulations and ensure their application
- Manage, on a daily basis, any security incident or deterioration of the security environment by reporting to the Head of Mission
Coordination with support functions
- Manage financial, logistics and HR activities by monitoring and analyzing indicators.
- Ensure compliance with financial, logistic and HR procedures within the various Borno State Offices
- Anticipate the financial, logistic and HR needs at Borno State level and communicate these needs to the Coordination using appropriate tools and in compliance with the planned deadlines.
- Ensure the performance of the supply chain and logistic aspects.
- Ensure the implementation of the HR policy and the management of human resources according to established procedures.
|Expériences / Formation du candidat||Education|
Relevant degree and/or equivalent management working experience
Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience.
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility,
- Ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish interpersonal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Fully proficient in written and spoken English
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
|Comment postuler||For further information and to apply, follow the link below:|
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “SR-49-1005 – Head of Base – Nigeria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.