|In view of the further development of its activities BTC is currently looking for a (m/f):
International Grants Expert
Location: Kampala (Uganda) with regular field visits
Duration of the contract: 18 months on a full-time basis
Probable starting date: as soon as possible
Monthly salary package: (cat B417) between 5.186,32 euro and 7.380,88 euro (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance). The salary is calculated, depending on the composition of the family and the number of years of relevant experience.
The support to skilling Uganda (SSU) project is jointly implemented by Belgian Development Agency (BTC) and Ministry of Education and Sport (MoES) with kind support of the Belgium Government, EUTF and Irish Aid. SSU focuses on supporting 10 years’ BTVET strategic plan (2012-2021) geared towards a systemic transformation of comprehensive skills development for employment, enhanced productivity and growth in Uganda. The plan focuses on making skill development more relevant and demand driven by linking Business Technical Vocational and Training (BTVET) with the world of work.
EUTF-funded initiative, ‘Support Programme for Refugee Settlements and Host Communities in Northern Uganda (SPRS-NU) is being implemented in the Northern Uganda including Kiryandongo to enhance ‘livelihood and labour market relevant’ skills for youth, women and girls of the refugees and host communities in Northern Uganda, including Kiryandongo, through short and medium term Vocational Training and Entrepreneurship Support.
As part of the Support to Skilling Uganda (SSU), SPRS-NU has two specific result areas:
Result 1: Increased access to quality skills development (training, entrepreneurial skills and start-up kits) for refugees and host communities (with a specific focus on youth, women and girls) in Northern Uganda, including Kiryandongo.
Result 2: Skills development in Northern Uganda is coordinated and aligned with the Skilling Uganda strategy.
The International Grants Expert will be recruited by BTC and presented to the MoESTS (Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports). S/he will be one of the members of the PMT (project management team) and will work in coordination with the Support To Skilling Uganda (SSU) project coordinators and the Education Programme Manager.
The duties of the International Grant Expert include ensuring:
• Compliance with the Grant Agreements concluded with the partners and effective management of Belgian public funds allocated under Program SSU;
• Improvement of the partners’ capacity in general management and enabling those who need it to become autonomous and absorb the support that Program SSU puts at their disposal;
• The analysis and application of the contribution in resources under the Grant Agreements and of the funding requests approved by Program SSU.
Result area 1: Assessor
In order to ensure compliance with the Grant Agreements concluded with the partners and the effective management of Belgian public funds allocated under Program SSU-EU.
• Ensure that the partners’ reporting deadlines are observed in accordance with the requirements of the Grant Agreements;
• Conduct field visits to ensure compliance with the grant procedure as described in the grant agreements;
• Carry out comprehensive controls of supporting technical and financial documents and draft a recommendation report for the partners;
• Prepare and support the partners’ external audits.
Result area 2: Trainer
In order to improve the partners’ capacity for general management and enable those who need it to become autonomous and absorb the support that Program SSU-EU puts at their disposal.
• Prepare, ensure or supervise the implementation of the contributions of Program SSU to develop the partners’ capacities in terms of general management;
• Assess the partners’ training needs;
• Develop a strategy and training plan for the partners;
• Carry out field missions to support the partners’ management teams in sound management;
• Prepare instructions to support the partners in its technical and administrative management;
• Organize training workshops, with or without the internal or external support of BTC and/or the Ministry.
Result area 3: Administrative and Financial Manager
In order to analyse and apply the contribution under the Grant Agreements and the funding requests approved by Program SSU-EU:
• Control and validate the technical and financial reports of the implementing unit;
• Validate consolidated reports;
• Monitor grant execution;
• Control and validate requests from implementing units and prepare requests for instalments;
• Manage audits and draft actions plans to mitigate risks;
• Provide no-objection approval for commitments;
• Propose and set up the necessary tools concerning the financing, management and control of funds made available to partners;
• Participate in the execution of the Grant Agreements between the partners and Program SSU-EU, in accordance with the procedures in force;
• Participate in programming in connection with the scheduling of disbursements for activities under his/her responsibility.
Qualifications and required experience
• Master-level diploma in laws, procurement, administrative & financial management, economics or a similar field.
• Minimum 5 years’ work experience in administrative management and/or in procurement and/or control.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience with an international organization, NGO, consultancy, donor working within the development sector.
• Knowledge of the principles of Belgian and Ugandan procurement is a must (or at least to have to capacity to get quick into the local procurement legislation).
Other skills required for the function
• Be proficient in computer skills, in particular Excel and Word.
• Have an excellent command of the English language.
• Have capacity building skills for the analysis of the systems in place at our partners’ and for monitoring of funds awarded.
• Be capable of working in a team.
• Be organized and independent.
• Have very good communication and diplomacy skills.
• Have very good writing skills (recommendation reports, mission reports, etc.).
• Have very good analytical and problem-solving skills.
Please apply no later than September 20th 2017 through our website https://www.btcctb.org/content/jobs
If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at +32 (0)2/505 18 65.