UNICEF recrute un Responsable des finances
Job Number: 504844
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Finance Officer reports to the Head of Operations for general direction and guidance. The Officer is responsible for providing support to Chief of Operations and colleagues in the CO by administering and executing a variety of professional and technical financial transactions and processes, applying theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, objectives, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to complete the tasks.
Key Expected Results
The ability of the Finance Officer to effectively manage and execute financial transactions and services directly impact on meeting organizational/staff needs and program delivery of goals and objectives. This in turn contributes to maintaining/enhancing the credibility of UNICEF as an effective and responsible manager of resources entrusted to the organization and to furthering UNICEF image as a competent organization for delivering cost effective and sustainable program results.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to financial planning and management
- Control of accounts
- Treasury and cash management
- Knowledge and capacity building
- Support to financial planning and management
- Provide support to the financial planning process for CPMP by preparing/analyzing financial data/estimates and documentations verifying relevancy, accuracy and completeness to support budget planning. Provide financial operations support throughout the financial planning and implementation process.
- Review budget expenditures according to allotment and codes and verify compliance with guidelines and procedures. Keep stakeholders informed for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support on the application, interpretation and implementation of operational policies, procedures and guidelines to the Representative and CO colleagues and stakeholders. Resolve routine financial operational issues and/or recommend (and record) deviation from policies and guidelines to meet objectives.
- Provide technical support to the programme counterparts/committees, e.g. review budgets and financial plans of Implementing partners; monitor compliance with HACT framework, including support to assessments, assurance and capacity development of implementing partners.
- Prepare and/or monitor financial exception reports to assess unusual activities and transactions and investigate anomalies and keep Supervisor informed for timely action.
- Review financial and reputational risks in the transactions carried out by the office and raise flags when action is needed by management.
- Where applicable, support PSFR activities on budget preparation, strategic income projection/ reporting, setting and monitoring performance indicators, Revenue and Expense Reporting and provide technical advice during strategic planning exercises.
2. Control of accounts
- Process and/or review (as per delegated authority) the accurate and timely processing submission of payments (e.g. MIP, travel claims, pension fund, advances to governments etc), journal entries and other financial transactions within scope to the Global Shared Services Center (GSSC), ensuring compliance with budgetary limits, IPSAS and organizational regulations, rules, policies and procedures and standards of accountability and ethics. Take timely action on outstanding accounts to resolve pending issues. This includes dialogue and follow up with the GSSC to facilitate timely processing of financial transactions submitted to the center.
- Process/supervise (as per delegated authority) the disbursement of payments when done locally via bank letters, checks, or petty cash.
- Process/supervise cash receipts and reconcile income contributions to ensure their timely deposit and recording in UNICEF systems.
- Monitor and analyze financial transactions, accounting reports and reconciliation of accounts to ensure accurate and current financial information for applicable compliance (e.g. IPSAS, donor reporting, internal policies) and management oversight, planning and/or action.
- Prepare or contribute to mandated management/statutory office financial and accounting reports to UNICEF Board/Bodies/Donors, verifying the reliability of data and compliance with organizational guidelines.
- Collaborate with oversight bodies (e.g. UNBOA, OIAI, Evaluation Office, JIU, donors, etc.) to provide answers to request; and engage with the appropriate colleagues to resolve financial observations and recommendations raised in a sustainable and efficient manner.
- Complete applicable accounts closure activities (monthly, quarterly and yearly) on a timely basis and per closure instructions.
- Examine DCT transactions (transfer, adjustments, reprogramming and liquidation) supporting documents to ensure FACE form has been properly entered into the system and the expenditure is broadly reasonable and in accordance with policy.
3. Treasury and cash management
- Manage bank, petty and cash on hand accounts transactions and operations in accordance with UNICEF/UN financial regulations and rules, policies, procedures and local banking practices. Keep abreast of procedures and regulations regarding maintenance of bank accounts and exchange and interests rates. Keep Supervisor and relevant colleagues informed for timely action.
- Maintain contact with local bank management on routine operational matters.
- Maintain a system to monitor and forecast periodic cash requirements. Provide current information on cash position/forecast to management and make recommendation or take action to ensure sufficient availability of resources for programmes and operations activities.
- Submit monthly bank statements to the GSSC for reconciliation and take appropriate corrective actions on findings identified by the Center.
4. Knowledge and capacity building
- Promote culture of highest ethical standards and behavior in management of UNICEF’s resources.
- Support initiatives for management improvement by capturing, institutionalizing and sharing best practices and lessons learned. Recommend improvements in processes and procedures to enhance productivity and performance including implementation of cost saving strategies.
- Participate and/or organize training and learning events to build capacity of staff and stakeholders/partners.
- Support operations of the office as required.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
A first level university degree in accounting, financial management or other related financial field is required. Supplemental formal financial / accounting training may be accepted if University degree is not in a related financial field. Diploma qualification in CIPFA is acceptable in lieu of relevant University degree, or its equivalent.
A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in financial management or audit is required. Experience in an international organization and/or large corporation is preferred. Experience in a UN system agency or organization some of which served in a developing country is an asset.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
Experience in database packages, web based management systems and ERP systems (preferably SAP financial modules) is an asset.
Experience with IPSAS and/or IFRS is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Applying technical expertise
- Planning and organizing
- Following instructions and procedures
Opening Date Wed May 31 2017 12:00:00 GMT+0200 (Paris, Madrid (heure d’été)) Egypt Standard Time
Closing Date Tue Jun 13 2017 23:55:00 GMT+0200 (Paris, Madrid (heure d’été))